Upcoming 2015 Events
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration
- 11 a.m. Jan. 19, Tippecanoe County Public Library, 627 South St.
- Local resident Tom Brown will explore King’s 1967 speech, “Beyond Vietnam,” which denounced America's war in Vietnam.
- Conversation Circles
- The community-building arm of the Diversity Roundtable is holding its January call-out from 6 to 8 p.m. Jan. 27 at the downtown library branch.
- The call-out is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about the circles, which aim to foster a better sense of community through respectful listening and sharing of diverse experiences.
- A training session on Conversation Circle facilitation also will be offered Jan. 18. For more information on this session, email drtconversationcircles (at) gmail.com.
- Congress Street United Methodist Church programs
- Last fall, the church organized a communitywide discussion series based on the book, “The New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness.”
- It plans on having another discussion series on race at the end of February.
- Organizers are considering books that explore the concept of ”white privilege.“
- 1 in 4 Campaign
- Michael Oxenrider, director of education and marketing for Mental Health America of Tippecanoe, is recruiting community members for a photography project that shows 1 in 4 people is affected by mental illness.
- If interested, call Oxenrider at 765-742-1800.
An article outlining the schedule appeared in a recent edition of the Journal and Courier.